So the other day… I was setting up one of my clients Automatic Deployment Rules (ADR) for SCEP Definition Updates. Everything went fine until I went to run the rule and I saw “HttpSendRequest failed HTTP_STATUS_FORBIDDEN or HTTP_STATUS_DENIED” followed by “ERROR: DownloadContentFiles() failed with hr=0x80070193” in the PatchDownloader.Log file.
This was a shock as this error usually only occurs when the traffic is blocked by a proxy server and at this customer site I was told to bypass the proxy using DNS host targeting.
After some trial and error it dawned on me. The System account of the machine must still be pointing to the clients proxy or using a PAC file. So I grabbed my trusty tool PSEXEC and spawned a CMD as System using a CMD as Administrator and the command: “PSEXEC.EXE -I -S CMD”
After this I navigated to “c:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer” and launched “Iexplore.exe”.
Then I navigated in IE to Tools, Internet Options and finally LAN Settings, and her presto there it was, it was grabbing a PAC file!
So I checked if I could browse to MSN and sure enough I was blocked.
So I unticked the box, restarted IE from the System CMD and tried again… MSN! First time I think I had ever been happy to see that laggy page!
Jumped back into ConfigMgr (SCCM) and ran my ADR rule to find all definitions downloading successfully. Hope that’s helps someone out!